Drupal 8-related Articles, Columns and Features from Our Archives
From DW 5.02 - Workflow
- You Know It Don't Come Easy - Drupal 8 Usability Study by Melissa AndersonAs we know, life can be rough for a new (or even experienced) Drupal developer when downloading Drupal 8 and trying to construct or upgrade a website. How rough? A recent usability study provides some insight.
- Testing, Testing... One... Two...Three - Moving Drupal 8 Forward by Jonathan HedstromDon’t just kick the tires, look under the hood. Your best way to see how the code works – and contribute to the community – is simple: Do some testing.
- Dreaming of Drupal 8 - Using Configuration Management Today by Jeremy RasmussenBelieve it or not, Drupal 8 will soon be here. Jump on it, Drupsters, jump on it! But for the more cautious souls - or maybe the more practical minds - there's still the Features and Configure modules to wring out the last few drops of Drupal 7.
- Introducing Drupal 8's Entity Validation API - A Change in Your Workflow by Lee RowlandsOkay, welcome to the Drupal 8 kickoff party. Better late than never. So now it’s time to get down and boogie. Kick back, grab a drink, slip on your dancing shoes, and read this feature – guaranteed to see you through your constraints.
- Configuration Workflow by Greg AndersonToo many cooks spoil the broth. Unless it’s a Drupal 8 kitchen and all the chefs stir the pot with Configuration Management. Bon Appétit!
From DW 5.01 Strategy Cookbook
- Drupal in Debian - System Integration for Drupal by Gunnar WolfWith Drupal 8 soon out of beta, look for Debian 8 to arrive on its heels. For large-scale Drupal projects, a dose of Drubian may be just what the doctor ordered.
- Wait, $langcode? What the Heck? - Writing Language-aware Drupal 8 Code That Just Works by Francesco PlacellaAh, dear Drupal developer, no longer need you cower under your desk and curse when you hear the words “complex multilingual site.” The bad old days are gone. Drupal 8 is here to make your content sparkle across multiple sites in multiple languages.
- Strategies for a Designer-friendly CMS - System Based Thinking by Larry GarfieldNo website remains static. In building a Drupal website for Public Radio International (PRI.org), the author’s team utilized system-based thinking – Atomic Design – to create a reusable, evolving site, providing flexibility and growth, with ease and efficiency into the future.
- Classy Theming - Fara í Víking by Morten DKOnce upon a time, Drupal themers had every reason to be angry. Angry! Come on – modern times call for modern methods, including a shake-up in CSS architecture, theme functions, markup placement, and much much more. Drupal 8 to the rescue. Frontenders, rejoice!
From DW 4.02 - Drupal as a Services Platform
- Protecting Your Drupal 8 Resources - Authentication by Juampy Novillo RequenaLet the Right One In! Use Drupal 8 core and contrib modules to solve Authentication and Authorization permissions.
- Web API Alphabet Soup - Cooking With Acronyms by Sam BoyerAs Dionne Warwick once warbled, “wishin’ and hopin’ and thinkin’ and prayin’ won’t bring Drupal 8 into your arms.” Or something like that. Meanwhile, there’s CRUD (and HAL and POX) to whet your appetite and help you make standards- compliant decisions.
- Building a Self-Documenting REST API - Endpoints, Routing, and Entity Fields by Lee RowlandsDrupal 8’s Routing and Entity-Field APIs contain built-in information discovery, which even allows Drupal to document itself. Patience rewarded.
- JSON or XML - What's Best for Your API? by Lin ClarkIn this corner, JSON; in that corner, XML. The two primary formats for data exchange on the web battle it out for ease, functionality, and supremacy. And the winner is...
- Small Sites, Big Drupal - What About the 99%? by Nedjo RogersFrom Drupal’s populist, humble beginnings to providing the web’s largest, most popular commercial websites: Will Drupal soon be just a tool of the 1%?
- Responsive Themes - Implementation With Drupal 8 by Emma Jane WestbyThe guidelines for responsive web design have become a great deal more complicated since they were introduced back in 2010. Drupal 8 makes them work, even with the slower connection speeds of mobile devices.
- Decoupling Drupal - Using Drupal as Part of a Decoupled CMS by Larry GarfieldDrupal 8 will have built-in RESTful web services. Sit tight. Or follow Palantir’s steps in setting up a major media client’s smörgåsbord of movies, TV shows, and other video as an API for a web app, iPhone or Android app, or even a set-top box.
From DW 4.01 - Our Drupal 8 Double Issue!
From DW 3.02 - Extending Drupal